MiFi Devices for Portable Wireless WiFi Routers for use with Safaricom, Airtel, Faiba and Telkom, and Broadband Data plans.
MiFi Wireless Routers or MiFi Portable dongles are compact, wireless devices that have capabilities of GSM Routers and Wireless Connectivity.
MiFi allows you to get internet from your ISP by insertion of a SimCard. These enable multiple users to share a single mobile broadband connection while they are on the go.
MiFi creates a local area network Wi-Fi Signal, similar to the wireless Wi-Fi routers used by home or office broadband Internet providers. For this reason, some people refer to the technology that MiFi uses as wireless mobile/Portable broadband.
MiFi uses a SimCard to provide broadband Internet. In Kenya, you can Purchase Safaricom, Airtel, Faiba and Telkom MiFi Routers, Tp access the internet one needs to Purchase Internet data plans from the Respective Brand band Internet Providers.
Featured Safaricom, Airtel, Faiba and Telkom MiFi Routers
Safaricom MiFi Routers
As per the date of the article publications, Safaricom does not have branded MiFi. But, Safaricom is the leading broadband ISP Internet provider and is compatible with most Portable MiFi Routers in Kenya.
Here is a list of MiFi Routers that are common in Kenya that you can use with Safaricom broadband Internet Services
Huawei E5573Cs-509 Universal Huawei 4G MiFi Supports Safaricom, Airtel & Telkom
E5573Cs-509 Huawei MiFi Routers Provides up to 150 Mbps 4G LTE and 43.2 Mbps 3G/4G download speed.
E5573Cs-509 Portable Wireless MiFi Router is unlocked to all networks so use the SimCard of your choice!
Operating Frequency :(4G): LTE-FDD 2600/2100/1800/900/850/800 MHz
(3G): DC-HSPA+/HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS 2100/900/850 MHz
(2G): EDGE/GPRS/GSM 1900/1800/900/850 MHz
Features:4G LTE DL up to 150Mbps 4G LTE UL up to 50Mbps
- Wi-Fi 2*2; Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
- 11 users connection support (10 WI-FI and 1 USB)
List MiFi Routers that are compatible With Safaricom, Airtel and Telkom include;
1. TP-Link 4G LTE Mobile Wi-Fi M7200 150Mbps 2.4 GHz
2. Huawei E5573-906E Portable MiFi Router. Support Faiba Too
3. Huawei E5572 Pocket Mobile MiFi Hotspot WiFi2 150Mbps -White
4. Harvilon Universal 4G MiFi Internet Router Supports All Networks
5. ZTE MF-927U 4G Wi-Fi Routers * Unlocked works with all ISP Providers Including Faiba
Telkom 4G Alcatel Mi-Fi router Locked to Telkom Network
Features of the Telkom MiFi Router
- Connects up to 15 devices at a go
- Download speeds of up to *150Mbps on 4G LTE
- Upload speeds of up to *50Mbps on 4G LTE
- Alcatel Link Zone app for both Android and iOS users
- Light and compact design – for portability
Easy set up for a true plug and play experience
- Battery – 1800mAh (up to 7hrs use time)
- Ø SIM – Single SIM (Locked to Telkom), Ø Network – 4G (Band 20),3G and 2G, Ø USSD and SMS support
- Ø Available color(s) – Black (With Telkom logo on the front)
- Ø LEDs/Indicators – 4 (1. Signal 2. WiFi 3. SMS and 4. Battery)
- Ø SD card slot – up to 32GB supported, Ø Port(s) – 1 Micro USB 2.0, Ø WiFi – 802.11 b/g/n (Frequency Band – 2.4 GHz)
Faiba 4g Faiba 4G MiFi – ZTE MF-927U 4G Wi-Fi Routers
As with mobile broadband dongles, MiFis are offered on monthly or yearly contracts or pay-as-you-go deals.
What is MiFi mobile broadband? How does a MiFi work?
A MiFi taps into 3G or 4G GSM mobile phone networks and uses this connection to create a Local area wireless broadband hotspot. Devices that support wireless connectivity can then connect via Wi-Fi. Devices that you can use with portable MiFi Routers include; smartphones, laptops, tablets and even gaming consoles and much more.
MiFi mobile broadband Internet Access Speed
MiFi Devices can support speeds provided by the broadband ISP Standards. For example, a standard 4G connection speed is 150mbs, a 4G MiFi can support these speeds.
Kenya broadband ISP Providers offer standard 3G or 4G connection speeds, depending upon network coverage.
As with any type of connection, however, users will typically experience some slowdown when the MiFi Hotspot Internet is being shared.
Where to Buy Portable MiFi Routers in Kenya
How do you set up a MiFi?
MiFi is very easy to set up. All you need to do is turn on the unit and wait for your computer to detect the signal.
This typically takes a matter of seconds. Once this is done you can get online at broadband speeds instantaneously. Unlike some dongles, there is no software to install.
MiFi vs mobile broadband dongles or USB Modems
A USB Modem will only allow you to get online with one device at a time. By contrast, MiFi units let multiple users connect to the signal simultaneously, making them handy for families. MiFis are also a great, cost-effective option for students living in shared accommodation.
MiFi also offers the advantage over dongles that they do not need to be plugged into the device that they are connecting to the internet. This means that they can be placed in the optimum position to ensure a good signal, thus allowing users to overcome some of the problems associated with using a dongle.